- Artist profile
- Artist's Statement
Penelope Gilbert-Ng ‘s journey as an artist started aged 3, Studied at East Sydney Technical College late teens (Diploma of Painting, 1971) and furthering her development with her painting in isolation in Papua New Guinea (13 years). On returning to Australia 1986 studied with noted artists in Australia, New York (Pastel Society of America Scholarship), and New Mexico (International Association of Societies Convention).
Penelope believes that continual learning is essential for self-development as an artist. She is Past President of Pastel Society of Australia and Master Pastellist with the Pastel Society of Australia, Past President and Fellow of the Royal Qld Art Society and sought after tutor with Art Societies and Groups Nationally in all mediums. Penelope has been a finalist in the Archibald and Portia Geach Portrait Prizes and has had numerous solo and joint exhibitions.
Her commissioned paintings are represented in corporate/ private collections worldwide. Winner of many competitions combining knowledge and dedication to her art has enabled her to judge shows since 2002. Penelope has written 7 articles for The Australian Artist Magazine (Dec 2000, March 2006). Australian Artist July 2009/ April 2011 “How did you do that”. Portrait painting July 2012. May 2013 Acrylic portraiture. October 2013 Acrylic What comes next? Demonstrated (by invitation) at the International Association of Pastel Societies (Portraiture) May 2009 Albuquerque, New Mexico USA. Tutored for Artemis Art Tours Greek Islands October 2012. Tutored again for Artemis Art Tours Greek Islands May 2014.Guest Artist/Tutor/Judge at Pastel Society Of New Zealand Pastel Convention May 2015.
I am a painter that is who I am. I have painted all my life and continually studied, explored and enjoyed my learning processes on how I want to communicate visually to an audience. For me the effect of light on my subjects and the shadows created by a light source are in a sense equally important in creating the shapes, tone and composition required to make an enjoyable painting. I paint in all mediums but pastels’ spontaneous response and multitudes of hues and tones are so exciting especially when painting from life I never cease to be amazed by the results. I don’t paint photographically but do believe in portraying and responding to what I see, simplifying and eliminating detail so as to make the viewers’ eyes work as well. My mark making is bold and confident yet shows a sensitivity to my subjects. When I paint the adrenalin flows and energy transforms into my work. I cannot think of any better way to spend my time than painting. We are truly blessed as artists. My teaching has been a wonderful source of learning as I have learned so much from my students. I love sharing with my students what I have learned. I first played with pastels over 45 years ago but seriously concentrated on using them for the past 30 years. I have learned about colour by using pastels. I have found the speed of using pastel so wonderful when working with a model as I love the individual skin colours of each model and how the light affects that colour. Pastel is the perfect medium to work from life. Plein Air painting and working from a set up still life with a light source with warm or cool lighting is always a joy. We as artists are responsible to uplift our audience from the horrors that seem to be present on an everyday basis.
Career / Achievements /Certification and Education skills:
- Diploma of Painting
- Finalist Portia Geach Portrait Competition Twice
- Finalist Archibald Portrait Competition
- Demonstrating Portraiture at IAPS Albuquerque New Mexico USA
- Judge /Tutor for Pastel Society of New Zealand
- Fellowship Of RQASI
- Master Pastellist and Life Member Pastel Society of Australia
- Tutoring/communication skills for painting and drawing
- Winning Grand Champion Portrait EKKA twice
- 50+ years artist
- 30+ years teaching- ACE TAFE 9 years
- President RQASI 2 years
- 19 years on committee RQASI
- President Pastel Society of Australia 2 years.
- 5 years on committee Pastel Society of Australia/sub committees ongoing
- Awarded Master Pastellist of Pastel Society of Australia 2000
- Awarded Fellowship Of Royal Qld Art Society Inc 2003
- Awarded Life Membership of Pastel Society of Australia 2016 for service to the Society.
- Self-employed as Tutor at workshops 20 years Nationally and Internationally. Toowoomba Campus University of Qld, Mitchel School of Arts/ArtScene Bathurst. Grafton Arts School, ASOC Canberra, Victorian Pastel Society Australia. Pastel Society of South Australia, Pastel Society of Australia, Samford Art Group Coochie Art Group, Art Academy Brisbane, Brisbane Institute of Art, Atelier Art School, Art Club Lismore, Arts West Longreach, Wallabadah Art Group/Art Shack N.S W, Murrurundi N.S.W, Bundaberg Art Group, Royal Qld Art Society, Mackay Art Society, Scone Art Group N.S W, Eyre Art group. Mareeba Primary School, Private School at Atherton Tablelands. Morayfield High School 1 week Art program for Grade 10/11/12 Twice. Kingston Primary teaching wildlife drawing. Flying Arts tutor.
- Teaching privately
- Australian Inaugural Pastel EXPO 2018 Caloundra Tutoring /Demonstrating
- Internationally- Judge and tutor North and South Islands of NZ, Pastel Society of New Zealand
-Tutored twice at the Greek Islands Artemis Tours 3 week painting holidays
- Demonstrated by invitation at IAPS (International Association of Pastel Societies) representing Australia Albuquerque, New Mexico. USA
- Judge: Mackay Art Society, Brookfield Show, Rotary Sunnybank, Royal Qld Art Society, Annual International Miniature Art Awards, Beenleigh Rotary Art Awards, Woodford Biennial Art Awards, Maleny Art Awards, Caboulture Art Society, Watercolour Art Society, St Catherine’s Anglican 1st Inaugural Art Show, Qld Wildlife Art Society, Cloncurry Ernest Henry Art Awards, Longreach Arts West, RQAS Gold Coast, Art Whitsundays, Coochiemudlo Art Group Annual. Mareeba.
- Held weekend workshops at Kindilan Education and Outdoor Facility Painting the landscape
- Exhibiting in numerous exhibitions
- Diploma of Painting East Sydney Technical College (5 years) 1971
- Studied with Scholarship at New York Pastel Society of USA 2003
- Attended IAPS (International Association of Pastel Societies Convention) U.S.A Albuquerque. 2007, 2009
- Attended many workshops from 1990 to present day.
- Sir John Guise Speaker of Assembly Papua New Guinea 1973
- Sir Barry Holloway Speaker of Assembly Papua New Guinea 1973
- Ikini Holloway Papua New Guinea 1973
- Prime Minister Michael Somare acquisition 1975
- University Of Qld Cromwell College Past Principal Rev. Dr G Lindsay Lockley MA,BD,PhD 2003
- University of Qld Head University of Veterinary School Professor Neil McMenamin 2008
- University of Qld Head of Women’s College Professor Iyla Davies 2016
- Griffith University Professor Emeritus Lesley Chenoweth AO 2017
- Numerous private collections worldwide
- 9 Articles published Australian Artist Magazine. 2000,2006,2009,2011,2012,2,13,2013,2016,2016.
- Featured in the book Luminous Colour, Showcasing Australian Pastel Artists by Linda Hibbs 2014
- 8 Solo Exhibitions
- 6 Joint Exhibitions
- Finalist Archibald Portrait Show
- Finalist twice in Portia Geach Portrait Show.
- Finalist Maree Ellis Drawing Prize
- Finalist Figurative RQAS twice
- Exhibited in many Rotary exhibitions and competitions
- Won EKKA Grand Champion Portrait 4 times (one oil, three pastel) and many awards in Art sections including pastel sections of the EKKA
- d’Arcy Doyle Art Awards Landscape section – highly commended 2014
- Kenilworth LGI trophy Competition – Landscapes First Prize 2013
- Pastel Society of Australia Awards 2013 – People’s ChoicePastel Society of Australia Awards 2013 – 1st prize Landscape
- Pastel Society of Australia Awards 2013 – 2nd prize Still Life
- Royal Queensland Art Society Pastel Exhibition 2013 – 2nd prize
- Brisbane Rotary Art Spectacular – Finalist 2013
- John Jeffrey Memorial Award 2012 – for Service to the Pastel Society
- Gainsborough Greens Art Awards – Finalist 2012
- Royal Queensland Show – Seascapes – First Prize 2011
- Master Pastellist Status awarded May 2011
- Pastel Society of Australia Winner Pastellist of the Year 2010
- Pastel Society of Australia General Members Incentive Award – first Prize 2010
- Sunshine Coast Show 2009 : Grand Champion ( with a pastel painting)Publications:
- Pastel Society of Australia Annual Awards: Still Life - first prize 2018
0403 882 079