- Artist profile
- Artist's Statement
I showed talent from an early age winning bursaries in 1949, 1951 and 1953 to attend Saturday morning ART CLASSES at the Durban Technical College, in South Africa.
I studied Art at High School and won prizes in the Payne Brothers Schools Art Competition. Art was a chosen subject at Durban Teachers Training College and proved to be an asset, illustrating lessons and making stage props during a 20 years teaching career. During this period, teaching and bringing up a family, I didn’t paint as I was busy plus I couldn’t afford art materials.
The family immigrated to Australia and in 1981 and I joined the Mt Gravatt Art Group and started painting in oils. During the 1980’s I exhibited on the many Fund Raising School Art Shows and, through sales, sustained my art practice. Living in Australia, with wonderful tutors, has been so beneficial and I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to grow in my Art Practice.
Over the years I have sold many paintings and believe they are hanging in several States in Australia as well as in South Africa, the UK and the USA. I enjoy “Life Drawing” and the challenge of painting “en Plein air”. I paint in most genres - figurative, landscapes, seascapes, flora and fauna. However, portraiture is a favourite and I have taken commissions in both oils and pastels.
- 1982-1984 – tutored by Mike Lyons
- 1990’s – joined The Yurara Art Society at Victoria Point - tutored in oils and pastels by Kay Kane.
- 2007 – Retired and tutored by Terry Wilkinson - in Soft Pastels
- 2010 – Became a member of the Pastel Society of Australia
- 2011-2016 –attended Workshops tutored by leading Australian and International Master Pastellists
- 2010 – 2nd Prize in the Alexandra Awards (PSA)
- 2011 – The John Thiesfield Encouragement Award (PSA)
- 2012 – 1st Alexandra Awards (PSA)
- 2013 – Grand Champion – Brookfield Art Show
- 2013 – 3rd Spring Competition (PSA)
- 2014 – 1st Still Life Section – Bribie Island Community Art Society Inc
- 2014 – 1st Soft Pastel Section – Mt Gravatt Show – Fine Art Section
- 2014 – Highly Commended Pastel Section – Mt Gravatt Show – Fine Art Section
- 2015 – Highly commended Pastel Section – Bribie Island Community Art Society
- 2015 – 1st Black and White Section - Mt Gravatt Show – Fine Art Section
- 2015 – Highly Commended – Soft Pastel Section – Mt Gravatt Show –Fine Art Section
- 2016 – Highly Commended – Pastel Section -Lions of Macgregor Art Extravaganza
- 2016 – Highly Commended – Still Life Section – PSA Annual Pastellist of the Year Competition.
- 2016 - 1st Black and White Section – Mt Gravatt Show – Fine Art Section
0422 217 582
Not yet available